Thursday, June 19, 2014

Make a Beautiful Mess

As I was working on these two paintings, I began thinking about the way so many circumstances require us to make a big mess before something beautiful happens. I work on a painting in one direction for a while, and as soon as I get to where I was going with it, I realize it's missing dimension. At that point, sometimes against my own will, I develop almost a whole new painting on top.

That practice is something we do throughout our lives. I do it when it's time to organize a messy closet by creating a chaotic disaster so it can be put back together the right way. (My studio is the only place I can handle said unorganized messes.)

But, a more significant comparison is to the events in our lives. Without our will, sometimes things get shaken up for us. That in-between moment is scary and unfamiliar, and you are suddenly a victim in a messy spot. At that ugly point, it becomes clear what was withholding us all along and so we add, change and eliminate parts in order to pull back together again.... with more substance and strength than before.

In my paintings, that built-up second layer allows me to unearth areas to show parts of the previous painting. The layers and experiences give the final result dimension and visual strength.

Disarranged 60x48




Shake-Up 60x48

No comments:

Post a Comment